I invite you to spend a bit of time exploring my site, created for those of you interested in quickly acquiring the technical skills for a successful career in industrial automation. Here you'll find books, resources, and visual aids that cater to both new and seasoned industrial technicians.
All of my books; available for purchase directly from Amazon or as a PDF download, have been developed with a focus on intuitive and logical learning. I try to present concepts that build upon earlier learned topics, examples, and illustrations. Whatever your current skill-level, these books provide a valuable bridge to gaining proficiency in the rewarding field of industrial automation.
This is my latest book and I believe one of the most important - simply because of the essential skills and concepts it covers. To be effective in programming within the ControlLogix architecture, you need a solid grasp of the topics taught in this book.
Among the many topics discussed and illustrated are:
- Project organization - structure and development.
- The execution of Programs and Routines.
- How to configure different types of modules including RTS and RPI settings.
- Understanding and performing Firmware revisions.
- Understanding "Scope" as it applies to tag-based addressing
- Tag types, Data types, and User-defined data types.
- How and when to create "Alias" tags.
- How to create "Producer" and "Consumer" tags and when to use them.
- How to configure controllers to be a producer or consumer.
- Buffering or mapping I/O signals.
- How to create and use arrays.
- The use of instructions for fault-finding & recovery.
This book contains numerous examples of using Studio 5000 instructions related to the different topics. This book has been written specifically to help those who are already somewhat familiar with legacy PLC logic programming, but are wanting to gain a greater level of proficiency in using Studio 5000 and the ControlLogix platform as well.
"RSLogix 5000 - Understanding ControlLogix Basics, is an excellent book presenting the fundamentals of the ControlLogix PLC platform. Whether you are an entry level engineer or have past PLC-5 or SLC 500 experience, this book does a great job presenting the features of the Logix 5000 family. Numerous programming software screen shots found throughout the book serve to enhance the written text. This is a must read for a technician or engineer working with Logix 5000 PLC's."
Control Technology International